Sunday, July 12, 2026

Christmas Kitbash in July

    This past Christmas I was gifted two very cool models by Skert through the In Rust secret Santa kitbash. I always look forward to it every year, and Skert did not disappoint. Working from my prompts (Which I believe were "vampyr", "primordial",  and "bestial") they sent over not one, but TWO banger kitbashes.

 

 

 
     I've had the big guy primed up for a bit and have been working on and off on him to learn new techniques/experiment with different styles. I got a new airbrush setup around the same time I got this guy, so my first move with him was to try and learn how to use the airbrush. I ended up with a base zenithal of Pro Acryl faded ultramarine transitioning up to Pro Acryl grey blue. Next I wet blended Aethermatic blue and Dark Angels green contrast paints all over with some Army Painter purple tone wash as well.

 




    After that, I added some spots of light blues and dark purple to the upper arms and legs, as well as painting the hair a dark base purple and transitioning up to an off white. The face, teeth, and claws also got painted in a blue grey.
 
 
 


    To tie everything together, I covered the body model in a prussian blue ink wash. Seeing how the model turned out vs how it looked prior to the ink wash makes me wish I had thinned down the wash more. I lost a lot of the vibrancy I loved from the wet blending, which was kind of a bummer. To try and compensate for the toned down look, I added some jade and light blue striping on the arms and legs. After that I hit the leg wraps with some metallics, and painted the cloth. For the base, I left my original base coat over spray and added a light blue ink wash followed by a grey blue dry brush and some Valhallan Blizzard. 
 
 
 
 
    Overall, pretty pleased with how this turned out. I really liked not having to fret too much about a color scheme and just throw down what felt right. I'm going to make a point to have more one off models like this in arms reach to paint when I get burnt out or art blocked on bigger projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment